In this episode of The Functional Medicine Radio Show, Dr. Carri’s special guest Dr. Peter Osborne talks about gluten, the effects of pain medication and repairing your gut by going grain free.
Dr. Osborne is the clinical director of Origins HealthCare in Sugar Land, TX. He is a Doctor of Pastoral Science, Board Certified in Chiropractic Medicine and a Diplomat of the American Clinical Board of Nutrition. In practice since 2001, Dr. Osborne’s clinical focus is the holistic natural treatment of chronic degenerative diseases, with a primary focus on gluten sensitivity and food allergies. He founded Gluten Free Society in 2010 to help educate patients and physicians on the far reaching effects of gluten sensitivity. He is the author of Glutenology, a series of digital videos and ebooks designed to help educate the world about gluten.
Main Questions Asked:
- Why does it seem like grains are only now becoming a problem?
- What is the prescription pain trap?
- Is there anything else the listeners should know?
Key Points Made by Dr. Osborne:
- The rise of cereal as a common staple food reflects the increase of diagnosed digestive disorders.
- Prior to fortifying grain products many people died from mineral deficiency.
- Grain products are often a source of mold and mycotoxins because of the way they are stored. The effect accumulates so the longer we eat grains the more likely we will experience gut problems.
- Grains have natural protective mechanisms built in that cause problems in the human GI tract.
- 92% of people diagnosed with a gluten disorder do not respond by going on a gluten free diet because their inflammation still remains.
- You need to be seed free for a time to allow your GI tract to recover.
- Properly prepared seeds can help dismantle the mechanism that causes digestive problems.
- The average diet is not very diverse – we tend to eat the same things pressed into different shapes and forms.
- Join a co-op or shop at a farmer’s market – you will find food that is good for you and tastes great too.
- Properly prescribed pain medications are responsible for killing over 35,000 people each year.
- Treating the pain is not dealing with the actual problem.
- Common pain medications can create holes in the gut lining and block vital minerals from being absorbed by the body.
- Food is a drug – you can choose the right or the wrong drugs for your body. Look for excellent, quality ingredients and foods to fuel your body.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review on iTunes!