In this episode of The Functional Medicine Radio Show, Dr. Carri’s special guest JJ Virgin talks in depth about mindset.
JJ Virgin is a nutrition and weight loss expert. Her newest book is called Miracle Mindset. It covers the 7 powerful lessons she learned after her 16-year-old son was in a brutal hit-and-run accident.
JJ is best known for her bestsellers The Virgin Diet and Sugar Impact Diet, but fighting for her son’s life inspired a new focus on mindset and the power of courage, strength, and resilience to help you not just survive, but thrive during life’s hardest moments.
Main Questions Asked:
- What is the Miracle Mindset and why does our mindset matter so much?
- What are the seven lessons in the Miracle Mindset?
- Do you have any other words of advice for our listeners?
Key Points Made by JJ:
- The number one thing preventing people from achieving their goals is that they don’t feel worthy – in other words they don’t have the mindset they need to be successful.
- We tend to look at the bad things in our life in a negative way. The bad things are the training that shaped us into who we are today and help us become better and deal with stress more effectively.
- If you’re feeling fear, it’s because you’re taking on a worthy challenge. The struggle brings out the strength.
- Everything in life worth having is worth fighting for and is necessary hard work.
- The people who succeed are those who go through tough times and made it past them.
- You can’t course correct standing still. You have to take action if you want to improve things.
- It’s important to ask the ‘right’ questions if you want good answers.
- Your limitations will become your life. You can approach life either believing you will fail or that you will succeed – the latter will give you much better results. You determine your limiting beliefs.
- The ‘how’ will show up if you focus on the ‘why’.
- Be present and celebrate the small victories, pay attention to the small details.
- Commit to an action. Don’t ‘try’. Be courageous instead of fearless.
- Having a support community is important. A rising tide lifts all boats.
- Forgiveness is an active process. If you’re not happy despite good things happening in your life, you probably have some forgiving to do.
- Mindset is a skill that can be developed.
- Start with the areas of your life that you’re not satisfied with and begin building that area up.
- You can create the life and impact that you want; you have to decide first to do it.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review on iTunes!