In this episode of The Functional Medicine Radio Show, Dr. Carri’s special guest Lyn-Genet Recitas talks about “The Plan” and how to cure inflammation.
Lyn-Genet Recitas is the NY Times and International Bestselling author of “The Plan”, a groundbreaking nutritional protocol which has been published in over 15 countries. Her next book, due out January 2017, is called “The Metabolism Plan” and will focus on The Plan and exercise. She helps people reach their best health by finding their chemical responses to food, not counting calories via her book and protocol, The Plan. Lyn-Genet and her team of doctors and nutritionists have helped over half a million people regain their health and reach their goal weight all while eating over 2,000 calories a day.
Main Questions Asked:
- Can you talk about The Plan and how healthy foods can cause weight gain?
- Who would be a good candidate for The Plan?
- How much exercise should we be doing?
- How can The Plan help hormonal balance?
- Does The Plan mean someone won’t be able to eat the “bad” foods again?
Key Points Made by Lyn-Genet:
- Weight gain can be tied to physiological responses and can come from seemingly healthy foods.
- Your body’s particular chemistry will react differently to certain foods.
- When your body gains weight or you get sick from eating a healthy food, that’s your body’s signal that you shouldn’t eat that food.
- Weight gain after eating healthy foods is often caused by a histamine response.
- Our response to certain healthy foods changes as we age, especially over the age of 35.
- Every person is eating on average three to four foods that their body reacts badly to.
- We are taught to push through pain or weight gain; we should instead listen to what our bodies are telling us.
- Inflammation is the basis for all weight gain, serious disease, and early aging.
- When people exercise too intensely or with the wrong type for their body, tests show a possible weight gain, a decrease in thyroid and metabolic function, and an increase in blood pressure. You have to find the exercise that is right for your body.
- Intense exercise increases cortisol, so if you exercise at the wrong time it could actually cause weight gain because the body interprets the exercise as stress.
- Most people can achieve an optimal body composition with just 20 minutes of exercise every other day.
- The primary benefit of The Plan is to manage cortisol.
- By cutting a food out temporarily you can allow your body to heal. The amount of weight you gain from a food is a good indicator to how long you should be avoiding it.
- If you eat a particular food every day, you are increasing your chances of becoming sensitive to that food. Rotate your food selection, when you lose weight the foods your body reacts to will change as well.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review on iTunes!