In this episode of The Functional Medicine Radio Show, Dr. Carri’s special guest Dr. Tom O’Bryan talks about The Autoimmune Fix.
Dr. Tom O’Bryan is a world expert on gluten and considered the ‘Sherlock Holmes’ for treating chronic disease and metabolic disorders from a Functional Medicine Perspective. He holds adjunct Faculty positions with the Institute for Functional Medicine and the National University of Health Sciences. He is the visionary behind “The Gluten Summit – A Grain of Truth”, bringing together 29 of the world’s experts on the Gluten connection to diseases, disorders, and a wide-range of symptoms and ages. His 2016 critically acclaimed ground-breaking book, “The Autoimmune Fix” outlines the step-by-step development of degenerative diseases and gives us the tools to identify our disease (or dis-ease) process years before the symptoms are obvious.
Main Questions Asked:
- Can you talk about some of the statistics about autoimmune disease in North America?
- What inspired you to write the book?
- Tell us about the Betrayal series?
- What should someone expect once they implement your protocol?
- Is there anything else that we haven’t talked about yet that you think is important?
Key Points Made by Dr. O’Bryan :
- When we combine the various autoimmune diseases into one statistic, it is growing rapidly and is the most common cause of many other diseases.
- Every degenerative disease is a disease of inflammation and the inflammation is caused by an autoimmune function.
- We should be treating the cause of a disease, not just the symptoms.
- There are three components to an autoimmune disease – the first is genetics; the second is an environmental trigger that sets it off; the third is damage to your intestine, or leaky gut.
- Nine out of ten newborn babies have an average of 283 toxic chemicals in their bloodstream when they are born.
- You can arrest the development of autoimmune disease by healing the gut.
- Every patient with hormone imbalances has food sensitivities that they don’t know about.
- Studies have found that wheat has a key role in autoimmune disease and is the trigger that breaks the weak link.
- Many people have elevated antibodies in their system years prior to having symptoms of autoimmune disease.
- Testing the levels of your antibodies can give you a Positive Predictive Value of developing an autoimmune disease. This will give you a chance to address the problem before it gets worse and years before it becomes a full fledged autoimmune diagnosis.
- It can take up to 17 years for cutting edge research to reach a local doctor’s office.
- A particular gene, HLDRB1 can mean that you are vulnerable to developing an autoimmune disease in response to vaccines which may be why vaccine movements have started recently.
- Autoimmune diseases can actually be reversed if you follow the correct protocols. You should be able to notice a change for the better within three weeks.
- You can’t fix what you can’t know.
- Our environment is generally so toxic, we are not only killing off the majority of the wildlife on the planet but humanity as well.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review on iTunes!